||Mill Race Marathon (13.1 Miles) 02:04:48, Place overall: 474, Place in age division: 5|
|Slow miles||Fast miles||Total Distance|
- I signed up for this race 11 months ago. It is my favorite race because it is in my hometown. Also, the race promotors give a Ford truck with a Cummins engine to one race finisher. I have a 5 year losing streak with this truck give-away!
- In September, I stopped running altogether because my foot hurt so badly. I sat in the car for 30 minutes prior to the race debating whether I should run.
- After the first few miles, I got into a steady rhythm. I noticed a female runner slightly ahead of me. She continuously checked her watch. I decided to stay unobtrusively behind her and match my pace with hers for the remainder of the race.
- At mile 12, I left her and pushed hard to the finish.
- My son works at the finish line medical tent. As I approached the finish, I could see him cheering and clapping for me. I realized at that moment that the only opponent I needed to beat was myself, the way I used to be. I was better today than I was yesterday. I had beat my discouragement, my injury, my lack of training; and that was enough.
- 2 mi - 9:02 / 4 mi - 9:14 / 6 mi - 9:21 / 8 mi - 9:30 / 10 mi - 9:34 / 12 mi - 9:21 / 13.1 mi - 9:01
- By the way, my losing streak is rock solid. I did not win the truck this year!
|Brooks Ghost 11 Miles: 13.46|